It's Not a Phase

Monday, May 22, 2006

What Are You Gonna Be When You Grow Up?

So, what are you gonna be when you grow up? This should be an easy question to answer at thirty years old. Right? Yeah, you'd think. But, here I am wondering- just what am I gonna be?
First & foremost, I am & always will be a wife & mom. Those are my most important jobs & will be til the day I die.
For the past six years, I've had a stable job that I didn't worry about. I knew where my paycheck was coming from & I knew I had a job until I didn't want it anymore. (that definitely came w/strings, but that's a whole other story.) I was good at my job & I was comfortable, but no longer happy. On May 9th, I quit my job of six years. I had provided notice, which was to be fulfilled until June 2nd, but due to circumstances beyond my control, I left on May 9th.
Micah works, but unfortunately the things we've become accustomed to require both of us to have full time jobs. My last job was sitting at a desk & I'm not so sure that's what I want to do anymore. I enjoy being active, up & doing stuff. Definitely don't do that w/a desk job. & I definitely don't like the fact that my derriere has spread out to places it shouldn't oughta be. But what else can I do? All of my experience is sitting behind a desk. Don't get me wrong, I'm thankful for the experience, skills & knowledge I've acquired, but can I take it anywhere else?
I want a job where I make a difference in peoples' lives on a daily basis. I love working w/babies & children. I would work day care, but they're so over-worked & under-paid here. Several times, I've thrown around the idea of going to school to be a labor & delivery nurse. I would love to witness the miracle of life on a daily basis. But I'm just not willing to devote that much time that I feel should be for my family, on a career. I always have the thought in the back of my mind - what if. What if I went to school (while working as well) & missed out on stuff in Ryan's life, or my marriage falls apart b/c I chose a career? What if I put all that time (& money) into it to find out it's not what I truly wanted? What if I only have a short time left in this world & I focused it on something other than the most important things in my life - God, family & friends?
If anybody has any suggestions, please feel free to comment. I have an interview on Tuesday & one on Thursday. Both desk jobs. What if I'm destined to sit behind a desk the rest of my life? What if.........

1 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Blogger Tori :) said...

What about being a teacher? You could go back to school for it. Tha doesn't help the financial situation right now though, huh? What about substitute teaching? It works with Ryan's schedule and it pays ok. Plus- you can say NO if you can't work that day because there's something going on at Ryan's school or he's sick, etc... It probably doesn't pay as well as your old job, but... I don't know.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home